| WAP Enabled Pages | | Serial Interface | | Bluetooth to RS-232 Adapters | | Bluetooth Stuff | | Treo Smartphones | | Instructional DVD Videos | | Wi-Fi Stuff | | GPS Stuff | | Palm Software | | Mobile Internet | | Universal Connector | | Other People's Palm Pages | | palmOne Store Locations | | Just Other Stuff |
Verizon Treo 650 Info
Palm User Group
GoodLink Yahoo Group
If you use GoodLink (Duh!)
Move "Docs To Go"
to an SD Card
Save room on your Treo 650!
Synchronize your Docs To Go with your Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
Click for details
Be sure to visit
Palm's Tip of the Day
- The Cult of the Palm Pilot
- An article from the Boston Phoenix
- The Zen of Palm "Describes design philosophies and practices for developing Palm OS (Operating System) applications." While written for Palm software applications designers, it will give the reader a look behind the Design Philosophy of the Palm Operating System. You don't write "Bloatware" for a Palm. This book explains why. (Redmond will never have to worry about us) HTML Version
- The Treo/Earing Hanging Up Problem
When the Treo hangs up in the middle of a call.
- When you're talking on your Treo 600, does it hang up on you in the middle of the call? You might have what's called "The Earing Problem". That is when your earing taps against the on-screen "Hang-Up" button, and it does just that - it hangs up the call. The thing to do is to Disable Touchscreen during phone calls.
- Visit the "Prefs" (Preferences) application. Tap the Drop Down Menu in the upper left hand corner. Tap on "Keyguard". Select the two Checkboxes under "Disable touchscreen when:" that are marked "Incoming Calls Received", and "On A Call". This means that you won't be able to tap the buttons on your screen to "Hang Up", switch beteeen "Speakerphone" and "Handset", and the other buttons that will come up on the screen. How to activate them? Use the 5-Way Navigastor to slip right and left to highlight the button, then hit the Select button in the middle of the Navigator to select the highlighted button.
- "Palm OS for Linux" has been announced
- From the PalmSource Press release: PalmSource also plans to implement Palm OS on top of Linux, bringing the benefits of Palm OS to the Linux community
- The Palm Business Book
- Not a "Palm Manual" replacement, but a book by Larry Becker that will make you more productive in using your Palm OS based device. Includes using your Palm as a Time Management tool, with useful tips even if you're not in business! (and if you're an assistant to a Palm user, it's a Must Read).
- Lose the Laptop
- Larry Becker's new e-book on using your Palm OS based handheld as a replacement for your laptop computer.
- The International Palm Users Group.
- The Business Card Trick
- How to create, and beam your business card from your Palm, to your collegue's Palm with a minimum of stylus taps.
- How to replace Grafitti 2 with Original Grafitti
- Get back to what you're used to! Now that I've supplied the link, let me talk you out of using it. Don't forget the Power Stroke (middle of the screen, very bottom to very top) that will get you the "Graffitti Chart". Just as we tell Newbies to learn Grafitti, learning Grafitti 2 is just more useful. and the trick is, draw LOWER case characters, not Upper Case like we're used to. And two strokes for i, k, t, and x.
- How-to: Upgrade Locked Cingular GSM Treo to an Unlocked GSM version
- There are very many caveats to this, and be certain to read the Final Paragraph before doing anything!
- "How to..." The PalmSource Guide to using your Palm OS device
- Hyperlinks take you to specific topics of interest. You you can't find anything you can use here, you probebly won't find it at all.
- Palm's Tip Of The Day
- changed daily, with links to Tips & Tricks for individual PDA models.
- Things Cheshire Does With His Palm
- I have an Address or Contact listing with a Last name of "* If found, pls call" (yes, it begins with an astrisk - Shift-8), under Title, I have "Cheshire", and under Home Phone Number, I've got exactly that, my home number. If someone hits the Address Book button, they find the entry at the top of the list. They don't have to know to look for the "Owner" preference.
- I keep my charger at work. My Tungsten T2 sits on the cradle, with the Power preference set to "Remain on while in charger". It sits there as my Desk Clock, and is right there when I need it. At home, I'll put it on the HotSync® Cable to HotSync when I remember to (or when there's info I need), but I always need to HotSync at the office. And that's where I always want a handheld that is hot off the charger with a full battery. Especially when I leave the office at the end of the day when I might want to beam my Business Card at a party, a chance meeting in a bar, or at a late meeting. My habit now is to squeeze the belt pouch or pocket where the Palm lives, and if it isn't there, reach for the cradle.
- What does "Open Box" mean at The Palm Store?
- "Open Box" items are those handhelds that have been returned to Palm for one reason or another, refurbished if necessary, and made available for resale. They are offerred for sale in the Factory Outlet section of The Palm Store web site.
- NEW Exclusive Offers Everyday! Extra Savings on Open-box handhelds! ONLY at the Palm Store! Buy Direct & Save.
- How do I do Grafitti Shortcuts on a Treo Keyboard?
- This one's prettey interesting. You know those "Shortcuts" you did in Grafitti with that special "Looping L" ()character? Well it's still here. You hit the letter "S" followed by the "alt/0" Key, and a short list of alternate characters comes up. Hold down the "Down" side of the 5-Way navigator until it reaches the Looped character on the bottom of the list. Press "Center" to select it, them type "dts" for "Date Time Stamp", or whatever other shortcut you've got set up under "Preferences".
- What is Bluetooth?
- "Bluetooth® Wireless Technology" is a method of replacing serial interface cables with a "data radio" connection that allows "paired" devices to communicate with each other. The "pairing" process means that only those bluetooth device you allow to connect to your device, can connect. The "passkey" you enter in the Pairing process is used as an encryption key for the information sent over the data circuit.
This space intentionally left blank
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Pocket PC vs. Palm Showdown | | from the but-but-but-zaurus dept. | | posted by timothy on Sunday July 10, @13:40 (Handhelds) | | http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/10/1659201 | +--------------------------------------------------------------------+ Espectr0 writes "TuxTops has a small review comparing the Pocket PC handhelds against the Palm ones (no pun intended), with advantages and disadvantages of each. The conclusion? If you are after gaming, multimedia, good WiFi+Bluetooth support, a lot of accessories and versatility, go with Pocket PC. If you are after small and stylish devices with good battery life, simple interface and simple PIM apps, go with PalmOS." Discuss this story at: http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=05/07/10/1659201 Links: 0. http://mortiforo.sourceforge.net/ 1. http://tuxtops.com/ 2. http://tuxtops.com/?q=node/241
Type "PDA" in the Search Box at Fossil.
Other Palm Stuff You Might Need
- $29.95 A USB to Serial connector, connect older HotSync cradles to computers with USB connectors.
- EasySwipe Credit Card Reader, add credit card reading to your Treo 600!!
- Trakker Direct Mobile Strip Printer with Credit Card Reader.
- Palm Travel Charger
- Palm Portable Keyboard
- Bachmann InfraReady Adapter with Free PrintBoy software Beam documents to any printer with a Parrallel port.
- Gripon Grabba U1 Barcode Scanner (see photo, right)
OK, not everyone needs a Bar Code Scanner. But think about what happens when you put this "sled" under a BlueTooth enabed Palm (or just an m500 with a BlueTooth Card). You can check inventory going out the loading dock, and make sure it's still supposed to go! What a concept!!
Serial Interface Cable: Treo 600
Serial Interface Cable: Treo 650
You might also need the Palm Drivers for Serial to USB Adapter
USB to Mini-B USB
for Zire, Zire 21, 31, 72, and Tungsten E
Belkin Pro Series USB 5-Pin Mini-B Cable
available at Comp USA
Look in the Electronic Camera
department for this cable.
has cases available for
palmOne handhelds Locate a Franklin Covey store
Persona Case Information Replace Your Own Palm Batteries!!
The part of their Instruction Sheet I like is where
it says "Using the enclosed screwdriver..."
And did you need a
The Treo 650 Memory Issue
The Non-Volitile File System (NVFS) Comes With A Price
HOWTO: Make that Treo 650 Even Better!
By adding DUN (Dial Up Networking) of course!
Treo Voice Dialing
Click to learn about Voice Dialing from your Treo 650.
You can even download a trial version!
How To Use Your Palm
Instuctional videos on DVD
TMW Media Palm Tungsten T
TMW Media Palm m515
TMW Media Palm m100 Series
TMW Media Palm Zire
- Step-by-Step Lessons Include: Getting Started: What it Can Do, How to Use the Stylus, Graffiti Keypad
- Applications: Date Book, Address Book, Memo Calculator, Setting Time Zones, To Do List
- Advanced Features: Beaming, HotSync®, How To Use: Palm Desktop, Software for Windows/Mac
- 30 minutes
Special GPS Stuff
^ click here ^
Garmin iQue 3600 built in GPS PDA Handheld
Bluetooth is a wireless method of communications between electronic devices - it replaces cables with a radio connection.
- TDK Bluetooth PC MultiMediaCard for Windows (Hey, ya gotta talk to 'em from your Palm, don't ya?)
- Bluetooth Enabled Phones, a list of Nokia and Sony/Ericsson cellphones with Bluetooth.
- Nokia Image Viewer, view images via Bluetooth, and display them on any TV with an RCA Video input jack.
Bluetooth® wireless technology is a method of eliminating cables between equipment that needs to communicate with each other. Bluetooth is kind of like telephones. You can't have just one - you have to have two similar devices with a connection in between to do you any good. People used to connect cables between their Palm handhelds, and a modem. Today, you get a Bluetooth enabled Tungsten, or a Zire 72, and use a Bluetooth enabled cell phone as the modem.
So what do you do when you need to communicate with a piece of "legacy" equipment that still has an RS-232 connector? Here is the answer! Here are some Bluetooth to RS-232 adapters.
palmOne does not appear to be walking away from RS-232 connections, they seem to be running! Wireless Bluetooth is not only more convineient for serial connections, it is the way of the future. Time only goes forward, and as much as we'd like to turn back the clock, we have to go forward with it. These connectors will get you by until the new gear comes out that is already Bluetooth equipped.
Time for a Coffee Break!
Cheshire likes Peet's Coffee
Click here for Cheshire's coffee stories.
Wi-Fi (and other wireless) Gear and Info
- The all-new palmOne LifeDrive mobile manager. 4 GB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Office Docs & Free Overnight Shipping at the Palm Store.
Find a Hotspot...
- Palm's guide to Hotspots
- Palm Wireless Links
- NetChaser, wi-fi sniffing program for the Tungsten C.
- WiFiFreespot.Com, the name says it all.
- How to connect to a Public Hotspot
- A glossary of Wi-Fi terms
- McDonald's Hotspots are in New York City, San Francisco, and Chicago.
With Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®
|Wilson Rally Tennis Balls|
3-Ball Can - Special Purchase
|And why is this product REALLY here?|
D-Link AirPlus DI-624 Xtreme G 54Mbps Wireless Router
Make Parabolic Antennas for your Airlink
Palm Software Cheshire Likes
- DropBook for Windows, Drop a file here, and it's an eBook!
- Palm Markup Language, roll your own PalmBooks.
- VFSftp, a File Transfer Protocol client for Palm handhelds that can access the internet.
- SiEd, a text editor for Palm handhelds.
- Weasel Reader, a free Reader program. Drag and drop any text or HTML file onto the desktop Icon, and it's ready to hotsynch and read on your palm.
- Bejeweled, a game. A simple game. A very simple game. And very addicting. If I'm addicted, I'm going to get you addicted too!
- PocketSat+, Satellite Tracking Software. The location of the Space Shuttle and other satellites can be displayed, and it will calculate when satellites are visible from your back yard. You'll also need Palm Formatted Keps. The Keplarian elements are the mathematical variables needed to calculate the orbits. E-mail me if you need help with this.
- Pocket APRS, the Automatic Packet Reporting Serivce that tracks GPS users on PC and Palm Maps. (This is for Ham Radio operators)
Your Treo 600 (and presumably the 650) has a "Connection" mode of "Wireless Modem" that acts just like a Hayes modem of old, with the standard AT Command Set
- Palm Telnet, use your Palm as a computer terminal with other equipment.
- VT-100 Terminal Emulator, Just what it says. Notthing fancy, just a "glass teletype". Very small type, but very portable.
- SDS NetTime, set the time on your Palm with NTP (Network Time Protocol).
- Big clock, Cheshire's desk clock of choice.
- RealPlayer for palmOne handhelds, Get the free download.
- Jot Handwriting software from Communication Intelligence Corporation.
- PdaNet for Treo 600, Use your Handspring Treo 600 as a Wireless Modem for your PC - PdaNet allows your PC to go online by connecting to your PDA through the HotSync USB cable.
- Giraffe, a "Grafitti Tutor" type of game, along the lines of a Typing Tutor. Don't work at learning this stuff, play with it!
- DualDate, keep your schedule in HotSync with a friend.
- A Palm Software Archive, I just happenned across this one day.
- WebPro Software comes from Novarra for different platforms, including Palm (athough it's really called "Web Pro").
- PalmEFIS Software For Pilots
- Has Atitude Indicator, Moving Map software, and datasets. Click on "support" to download the manual.
Places Cheshire looks for free software.
- Tucows Palm Section
- Palm Boulevard
- Software for Ham Radio operators
- Peanut Press, the original source, it is now "Palm Digital Media", a division of PalmGear.Com.
- Pocket Directory, various e-books and references for the Palm computing platform.
- ThePulp.Net, The Shadow
Other Uses for Hotsynch CradlesCheshire takes his Serial Cradle, connects it (with gender menders and null-modem connectors) to his Radio Modem, and sends and receives data via Ham Radio from his Palm.
Handhelds with the "Palm Universal Connector":
- palm i705
- palm m125: For HotSync® Only
- palm m130
- palm m500
- palm m505
- palm m515
- palmOne Zire 71
- palmOne Tungsten T
- palmOne Tungsten T2
- palmOne Tungsten T3
- palmOne Tungsten W
- palmOne Tungsten C
Handhelds with the Mini-B USB Connector
(Used primarily on electronic cameras)
- palmOne Zire
- palmOne Zire 21
- palmOne Zire 31
- palmOne Zire 72
- palmOne Tungsten E
Handhelds with the palmOne MultiConnector
- palmOne Tungsten E2
- palmOne Tungsten T5
- palmOne Treo 650
- palmOne LifeDrive
Here's some guys with some bright ideas.
pdaMD.com Doctors pdaJD.com Lawyers pdaRE.com Realtors pdaFN.com Financial Managers pdaED.com Educators
Real Estate Guys!
For SupraKey software!
Supra e-KEY works on the Zire 31
|Stuff That's Not Palm|
(but you might need it anyway)
Rocket Launch Holds |
sent to your cell phone!
Travelling to the
What the Hack conference?|
For no good reason, here are|
Standard Palm Error codes
|Palm OS and HotSync are registered trademarks of the Palm Trademark Holding Company. Treo, Zire and Tungsten are trademarks of palmOne, Inc. and its subsidiaries, which may be registered in some countries. Other brands may be trademarks of their respective owners.|
Thank you for visiting
Be sure to visit our
Launch Viewing FAQ Page
Cheshire <at> 2600.Com